The 2nd month of the year is an outstanding one
In the Georgian calendar, the calendar that most of the world uses, February is the second month of the year. Most of the months have 30 or 31 days in a month but February is shorter. February has 28 days until Julius Caesar gave it 29 and 30 days every four years. This is because the Roman emperor Augustus took one day from February and added that to August because August was a month that was named after him. February is a very cold month followed by January in the northern half of the world. However, there are sunny days in February that indicates that spring is almost here. Different from the northern half, the southern hemisphere usually enjoys midsummer weather.
Below are some fun facts about February:
1. The birthstone for February is Amethyst.
2. Two zodiac signs for February are Aquarius (January 20 - February 18) and Pisces (February 19 - March 20)
3. The month has 29 days in leap years, when the year number is divisible by four. In common years the month has 28 days.
4. Viola (plant) and the Primrose are the birth flowers.
5. Black History Month is celebrated in Canada and United States.
6. National Day of the Sun is celebrated in Argentina.
7. In order to complete the Soviet Union's victory in Stalingrad during World War II, the last German troops surrendered in the Stalingrad pocket.
8. On February 4, 1861, a temporary committee met at Montgomery, Alabama where they organized a Confederate States of America.
9. On February 6, 1933, Amendment 20 to the United States was proclaimed which moved the Inauguration Day to January 20th.
10. In February 1910, the Boy Scouts of America was incorporated.
11. On February 6, 1899. The U.S. Senate ratified the peace treaty that led to the end of the Spanish-American War.
12. On February 6, 1952, Princess Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain.
13. February 11 - National Foundation Day in Japan
14. February 12 - Abraham Lincoln's Birthday
15. February 14 - Valentine's Day
16. February 21 - International Mother Language Day
17. February 22 - Independence Day in Saint Lucia
18. February 22 - George Washington's Birthday
19. February 24 - Flag Day of Mexico
20. February 25 - People Power Revolution (Phillippines)