The 9th month of the year is an outstanding one
In the Georgian calendar, the calendar that most of the world uses, September is the ninth month of the year. However, it used to be the seventh month on the Roman calendar. It had 29 and 31 days but it later was changed to 30 days by Emperor Augustus. In Southern United States, it is the warmest months of the year and very cool nights for Northern states. It is the harvest time for crops and that is why Switzerland calls September the harvest month. In the Northern hemisphere, beginning of September leads to the beginning of meteorological autumn while it is the beginning of the meteorological spring in southern hemisphere.
Below are some fun facts about September:
1. The birthstone for September is the sapphire.
2. The zodiac signs for September are Virgo (August 23 - September 22) and Libra (September 23 - October 22)
3. The birth flower for September is the morning glory.
4. On September 1, 1905, Alberta and Saskatchewan were established.
5. On September 1, 1939, World War II began in Europe because the German troops invaded Poland.
6. On September 2, 1789, the United States Department of Treasury was established.
7. On September 3, 1783, the Revolutionary War in America ended after Great Britain signed the Treaty of Paris.
8. On September 6, 1901, William McKinley, the 25th President of the United States, was assassinated.
9. On September 8, 1565, the first permanent white settlement was founded in St.Augustine, Florida.
10. On September 10, 1846, Elias Howe patented his sewing machine.
11. On September 14, 1847, United States forces took control of Mexico City.
12. On September 14, 1940, the Selective Service Act was passed by Congress which provided the first peacetime draft in the United States history.
13. National Chicken Month
14. National Rice Month
15. National Potato Month
16. National All-American Breakfast Month
17. Labor Day - first Monday of September
18. September 8 - Pardon Day
19. September 13 - Uncle Sam Day (his image was first used in 1813)
20. September 16 - Mexican Independence Day