Became known for his watercolor landscapes of the countryside near Oxford; his work was often compared to his contemporary J.M.W. Turner.
His first exhibition was held in 1807 at the Royal Academy. He was accepted into the Watercolour Society in 1808.
He designed the Georgian Gothic Revival Church that replaced the parish church at Shipton-on-Cherwell in 1831.
He and his two younger sisters were raised by their mother after their father died in 1791.
He and John Martin contributed much to the contemporary art scene of their time.