Estonian architect who designed buildings in the art nouveau style whose most prolific period was from 1907 until 1919. He rebuilt the house of the Blackheads, the houses on Pikk 18, Harju 9, and Roosikrantsi 15, and the Laupa Manor House.
He studied architecture and chemistry at Riga Polytechnic Institute, graduating in 1904, after which he was named Tartu's town architect. He relocated to Tallinn in 1907.
His apartment building at Pikk 23/25 remains one of his most famous architectural works.
He was born into an upper-class family of Baltic German and Jewish ancestry. He married Adrienne Kerkovius in 1897. The couple had five children together.
He was a contemporary of fellow Estonian architect Olev Siinmaa.