Co-founder of the architecture school at the Berlin University of the Arts; co-founded Berlin firm Taut & Hoffman.
He became known in the 1920s for his trade-union buildings and for constructing one house per year, all vastly different from each other, on Hiddensee island from 1922 until 1925.
He was responsible for the Berlin heritage sites, Deutscher Buchdrucker building and the Oranienplatz consumer cooperatives' department store.
He was the younger brother of architect Bruno Taut.
He and Walter Gropius were members of the avant-garde architectural society, Zehnerring.