Served as Principal Architect for the Office of Public Works in Ireland. Known for the 1936 modernist circular Hill House in St. Ann's Court, Chertsey, which was built for landscape architect Christopher Tunnard.
He studied English and architecture at Sydney University, from which he graduated in 1926. He was awarded a fellowship at Clare College, Cambridge, where he redesigned the campus' large Victorian house, Finella.
He was heavily involved in the restoration of Dublin Castle, a project that lasted decades.
He was born in Australia but was of Irish descent.
His first commission after establishing his practice was to design the Broadcasting House's interiors in 1930; he sought the assistance of Serge Chermayeff and Wells Coates on the project.