Architect who designed the Norwegian Pavilion at the 1958 Brussels World Exhibition. He received the Pritzker Architecture Prize and the Heinrich Tessenow Gold Medal in 1997.
He studied architecture at what is today known as the Oslo School of Architecture and Design. He was greatly influenced by the vernacular architecture he investigated during his time in Morocco from 1952 until 1953.
His work included the National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design in Oslo, Norway, and the Hedmark Museum in Hamar.
His family was residing in Kongsberg, Buskerud, when he was born. He married his wife, Ingrid, in 1952.
He met architect Le Corbusier, while employed in the studio of Jean Prouvé.