Responsible for the design, finance, and construction of over 160 buildings on college campuses in Ohio, as well as 200 elementary and secondary school buildings. Beyond Ohio, he erected 35 major hospitals and 43 U.S. Post Offices.
He graduated from The Ohio State University in 1931, where he was a student of Howard Dwight Smith and a member of the Alpha Rho Chi fraternity.
His name was given to The Ohio State University School of Architecture in 1994 as a way to honor his generous contributions to the school's architectural education.
His father and uncle founded a construction company, for which he worked on occasion. He married Phyllis Yvonne Coulon in 1933, with whom he had three children. They divorced in 1974, and he remarried U.S. federal judge Susan J. Dlott.
He worked in construction, like architect Sam Rodia.