Designer of the Triple Bridge in Ljubljana, capital of Slovenia, and the Slovene National and University Library building; largely responsible for the city's modern identity.
He studied under architect Otto Wagner and was employed by Wagner's firm during the early 1900s. He designed the Langer House in 1900 and the Zacherlhaus in 1905. His Church of the Holy Spirit was noted for its use of poured-in place concrete.
He helped found the Ljubljana School of Architecture.
His family was residing in Ljubljana, Carniola, Austria-Hungary, which eventually became Slovenia. He never married.
He was a contemporary of Scottish architect Percy Erskine Nobbs.