Slovenian architect who was a founding member of the Ljubljana School of Architecture. He was initially inspired by Slovene folk art and the Vienna Secession style during the 1920s, while he adopted a functionalist style during the 1930s.
He attended the Vienna University of Technology, from which he graduated summa cum laude in 1912 and where he was taught by the famed Karl Mayreder. He went on to study architecture in Italy.
He was the recipient of multiple honors, including the 1966 PreÅ¡eren Award.
He was born into the upper-class family of a stonemason. He married Helena Vurnik in 1913.
He and fellow Slovenian architect Joze Plecnik were contemporaries.